Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Something Someone Saw

Yes I am a facebook user....No my profile page is not actually 'about me'!
I don't understand why people complain of their profile being hacked into or rumours being spread around about something someone saw about them online. The strict rule is: If you don't want the world to know, don't put it on Facebook!!!! Why is this so hard to grasp? Facebook is NOT a private domain and those using it should not assume it is. After discussions in class today on the issue of Privacy (in particular celebrities), I believe that like actors, actresses, sports people etc, you sign up to a social networking site, you sign your life away and say goodbye to your privacy rights. I had to laugh when doing my research, I came across the "10 privacy settings every Facebook user should know". Although these 'rules' are (ironically) set down by the 'Unofficial Facebook Resource', I believe they do believe they serve a great purpose and I want to share them with you (just for laughs).

1. Use your friends list
2. Remove yourself from Facebook search results
3. Remove yourself from Google
4. Avoid the infamous photo tag
5. Protect your albums
6. Prevent stories from showing up in your friend's news feeds
7. Protect against published application stories
8. Make your contact information private
9. Avoid embarrassing wall posts
10. Keep your friendships private
 
http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-privacy-2009-02

1 comment:

  1. Emma,

    What a great list for social networking users but I have to say many don't consider the repercussions of tagging friends in photos because that is what Facebook is about for many: the attention and the attribution.

    Just looking at things like the news feed provokes thoughts of gossip and solicited news hunting. Facebook has so many users that enjoy the stories, photos and personal information that is spread through the ethernet.

    I am a Facebook user and I do adhere to many of the rules you state but I think there is a lot of users out there who remain oblivious of the outcomes some of their posts and photos conjure.

    ReplyDelete